At OIEA we offer a broad and balanced curriculum that allows all pupils the opportunity to develop their own interests and expertise. Our curriculum allows all pupils to become:
- successful learners who enjoy studying and achieve the qualifications that will allow them to progress to the next stage in their education
- aware of topical issues that affect them and others within society
- tolerant and accepting of all members of their community and beyond including celebrating cultural diversity
- confident in working independently or as in a team with the ability to lead others
- responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society
- able to understand the importance of health and safety in each stage of their lives
We operate a one week timetable with 5 lessons that are 1 hour in length. In addition there are enrichment opportunities after school each day ranging from academic support to broader interests like sports and the arts. We expect every member of staff to offer an enrichment activity once a week and would like all pupils to attend at least one of these.
We operate a 2 year key stage 3 (Years 7 & 8) and a 3 year key stage 4 (Years 9 – 11) meaning that pupils make their option choices in Year 8. We believe that this gives pupils more time to develop the skills necessary to be successful in their GCSEs and other level 2 courses. Pupils get to choose from a variety of academic and vocational courses and all receive detailed individual advice and guidance to ensure that they choose the right options for them.
If you would like more information about the curriculum please contact our Vice Principal Mr O Forster on email@example.com